"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Looking for the Family Blog? www.3psinatxpod.blogspot.com

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Seed saving


As I am trying to become self -reliant I am picking up the new skills, one of which is seed saving. So while I was at Homestead Heritage I picked up a little book on growing seeds called "Growing Garden Seeds" it was $2.40. The people at Homestead are serious about self reliance and the gentlemen behind the counter informed me he has been using it for years and still hasn't had to buy another book on seed saving.
So with the help of this book I was able to save my own cream peas and okra. One important thing about saving seeds is that you have to make sure that you do not purchase GMO seeds because they are unable to pollinate...in other words you will not be able to grow anything! I am buying more of my non GMO seed from Homestead Heritage so I can start to save more of my seeds and perhaps even sell some.
So if you are interested in seed saving this is the first book I would buy. It has been very helpful and think you might like it too.

2 comments:

A & B Farm said...

What are GMO seeds? I have never heard that terminology before. Can you please explain to me through email?

texasmcvays said...

GMO is Genetically Modified seed. The big deal about them is that you cannot use the seeds to plant with the next year. Also there has been issues with the GMO food and human/animal health.
Kyle

Contact us

*texasmcvays@gmail.com
*979-422-2066 call or text (please identify yourself in texts)











Add to Technorati Favorites
buy chickens, buy broilers, cornish hen, rhode island red, production red, buff orpington, brazos valley, bryan, college station, grimes county , brazos valley, black austrolorp, pullets, laying hens, brazos county, Texas A&M, TAMU, buy hens, chicken classes, red wigglers, composting worms, californian rabbits, 4-H, bunny,rabbit, rabbit meat, bunnies, worm casting, worm compost