"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Looking for the Family Blog? www.3psinatxpod.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Tale of the Poor Chicken, Crazy Duck & 1 mad Rooster

So during homeschool I stood up and noticed the medium sized chicks had escaped their enclosure. So, I got the chicken wrangler (Parker) and her side kick (Sugar-Pie) and went out there to get them back into their jimmy-rigged coop area. After they were rounded up we looked up and saw what can only be called an abomination.

The ducks were chasing the pullets around their yard and then trying to mount them. So feathers were truly flying throughout the pen. What else is a farmer to do, we stood there and watched the show.

The kids kept saying "Look Mama their playing!" "
Mama just said "Uh-huh"...they know animals mate but there is no way to explain this mess.

Finally a duck caught a chicken and mounted it. The chicken was squacking like crazy. Then the beautiful Buff Orpington rooster got mad (how dare you touch one of my women!) and he comes running across the pen and jumps on top of the duck. So, now I am standing there looking at a duck on top of a chicken with a rooster on top of it! What I truly regret is that my camera was not set to 'sport' and I was unable to get  a picture of this mess.

The ducks were an early farm experiment, in the future we do plan on offering duck eggs. But these two remaining ducks are both males and we had just been slow in getting rid of them. Well, after this incident I posted these fellas on Craigslist with a 'nice low' price and they were gone within 3 hours. Like I said on my facebook, its a good thing my Dad's a psychologist because now I need counseling.

2 comments:

Jeremy Tarpley said...

hahaha - Thanks for sharing Kyle, that made my morning.

Jess said...

There will be far less to laugh at on the farm now that Sodom and Gomorrah are gone!

I still find it hilarious that even Diesel, the cat, knows that something is just not right with those ducks. He would sit there with a HORRIFIED expression on his face while watching S & G tried to mate each other.

Contact us

*texasmcvays@gmail.com
*979-422-2066 call or text (please identify yourself in texts)











Add to Technorati Favorites
buy chickens, buy broilers, cornish hen, rhode island red, production red, buff orpington, brazos valley, bryan, college station, grimes county , brazos valley, black austrolorp, pullets, laying hens, brazos county, Texas A&M, TAMU, buy hens, chicken classes, red wigglers, composting worms, californian rabbits, 4-H, bunny,rabbit, rabbit meat, bunnies, worm casting, worm compost