"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Looking for the Family Blog? www.3psinatxpod.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Our Garden...

Well, I have to admit I love the garden so I guess I am a garden girl. The only thing about the garden is it's a lot of work. We are currently experimenting with square foot gardening. As we have been shamed by the Dervaes at Path to Freedom , as we have 5 acres in comparison to their. These people are some vegetable growing & energy saving fools! You know we are all about it...they are growing their veggies in raised boxes and harvesting 1,000's of pounds more then we are in about 2X the space. So more boxes are going in this weekend with turnips, chards, carrots & lettuce. We will add a box a month until we have filled the area this is kind of mammoth undertaking because our garden is 2500 square feet.

But as I have gone crazy anyway...I smush bugs with my fingers. I look up organic treatments (don't tell my friends!) for stuff because we eat the food straight out of the garden. And I have been permanently scared by "Fastfood Nation".

So here are some pictures from the garden. Right now we are still getting plenty of food from the summer garden. In fact we are over run with butternut squash & okra (1/2-1# a day) so we are selling the extra to help pay for the fall garden. Hey, we might turn a profit just yet!

We also have a few pumpkin vines. Which seemed harmless when we planted them but now we are going to have a lot of pumpkins. I did make a mistake with the pumpkins I let them climb up the fence because the blooms look so pretty from our room. Well now some are growing on the fence and they are trying to break the fence. Regardless of the fencing situation we should have PLENTY pumpkins for sale in October - November. These few pumpkins are sort of a training ground for growing a lot of pumpkins and watermelons for next year. Both vegetables are known for being a little bit tricky to grow. But isn't this baby pumpkin just beautiful? I just hope that she and her cousins don't break my fence!
RH Farm

2 comments:

Cochran Family said...

You let me know about that okra if you do plan on selling extra. I'd love to buy some! :)

texasmcvays said...

Yes,we have okra. Just fill out an order form and I'll bring it to soccer....(Hopefully, because that is a crazy day)
Kyle

Contact us

*texasmcvays@gmail.com
*979-422-2066 call or text (please identify yourself in texts)











Add to Technorati Favorites
buy chickens, buy broilers, cornish hen, rhode island red, production red, buff orpington, brazos valley, bryan, college station, grimes county , brazos valley, black austrolorp, pullets, laying hens, brazos county, Texas A&M, TAMU, buy hens, chicken classes, red wigglers, composting worms, californian rabbits, 4-H, bunny,rabbit, rabbit meat, bunnies, worm casting, worm compost